Tuning forks in the medical profession?

Diane Hofstetter dpno2nr@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:29:29 -0800 (PST)

 There are three hearing tests that medical doctors use tuning forks for.  A fourth, the  Schwabach test is rarely used today, it was developed in 1890 and simply compared the patient's hearing with the doctors by counting  how long each one heard the fork. (Real accurate, right?)
The other three are still useful in helping to determine the cause of a hearing loss.  This is very important, because some types of hearing loss can be cured, so you want to know what type loss you have!
The Bing test utilizes the occlusion effect to test for the presence or absence of conductive hearing loss, the Rinne test compares hearing by air conduction with hearing by bone conduction (both types of hearing are involved in tuning), and the Weber test is performed in cases of hearing loss in one ear to determine if the impairment in the poorer ear is conductive(mechanical loss, curable) or sensorineural (nerve damage, probably not cureable).
Now, aren't you sorry you asked?  On the other hand, if you want to know how to perform any tuning fork tests with your own fork on your own hearing,reply here or write me at dianepianotuner@hotmail.com, and I'll explain how.
Diane

  Robert Goodale <rrg@unlv.edu> wrote: Actually it just occured to me... perhaps they are used for tuning heart
strings! ZING! go the strings of my heart! :-D

Rob Goodale, RPT
Lasw Vegas, NV