HT pic questions

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:41:20 -0800

Greetings, list.

A couple of folks have responded to my recent postings of HT pics with
requests for a display of *beat rates*, rather than cents expanded or
contracted. The rationale is that this would provide a better view of what
the temperament actually sounds like. I'd like to give this a shot, but it
raises a few issues.

Firstly, the fundamentals might need to be arranged chromatically rather
than according to the cycle of fifths. If showing *beats*, with keys
arranged chromatically, in ET, you would be able to see the M3rds gradually
increasing as you go up the scale. I'll experiment with this. We'd lose the
nice bell-curve-like arrangement of the M3rds/cents/cycle of fifths.

But more significantly, which octave should be displayed? Aurally, I learned
to tune F to F around middle C, where the beat rates of M3rds range from 7
to 12 roughly. In the display of cents, the same cents apply equally to any
region of the piano (not counting stretching and inharmonicity); but which
octave would be preferable for a display of thirds? I could of course create
a chart that shows several octaves, say A3 to A5? Your thoughts?

And how important wouold it be to display the beat rates of other intervals
(M6, m6, m3)? All this data -- cents *and* beats for five different
intervals over two to three octaves -- could be combined into one chart for
each temperament. Would that be anyone's heart's desire?

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799