Rich people (OT)

Alan Meyer pianotech@ttlv.net
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:01:37 -0800

Thats not a problem in Las Vegas. They (the rich) are buying pianos and =
Pianodisc's like crazy. Rob Goodale and I are installing one to two =
systems a week. You should see the houses.

Alan Meyer
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 6:03 AM
  Subject: Rich people (OT)

  Friends,=20
  Please do not interpret my comments here as favoring neglect of =
pianos, by rich people or anyone else.=20

   I have a book that gives interesting insights into how many rich =
people think.  It's titled The Millionaire Next Door, and my copy was in =
paperback.  Unfortunately it is currently on loan to my brother, so I =
can't give you more information right now, but you shouldn't have =
trouble finding it.  You may be interested in reading a copy.  A couple =
things stick in my mind, though.=20

  1.  Rich people often are very careful in how they spend their money.=20
  2.  Some families who appear to have it made are deeply in debt to =
maintain a lifestyle they can't afford.=20

  To change directions a little, I am appalled when I hear statistics =
that say the average American household has $7,000 in credit card debt.  =
That means every year they are paying out (at a 14.3% interest rate) =
over $1000 in after-tax money that does nothing more than increase the =
credit card company's profits.=20

  Yes, I believe there may be some instances where carrying a balance =
for a short period of time (several months) may make sense, but one =
should always have the goal of getting out of debt and staying out, if =
at all possible.  My opinion, obviously.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger=20

    I've tuned in many a mansion, some of them more like $2,000,000=20
    homes, whose owners could justify nothing better than a 50 year-old=20
    Cable-Nelson or Wurlitzer spinet, which of course had seen a tuner =
maybe=20
    once every 10 years, and had  never felt the touch of a capstan =
wrench or=20
    hammer filing paddle.  And they're reluctant to spend more than the =
tuning=20
    fee until they find out if the poor child has the "talent" to get =
the=20
    horribly regulated, unevenly voiced old box to sound like a piano.  =
They=20
    didn't get rich by wasting their money on piano service, no=20
         --David Nereson, RPT, Denver