Prepared Pianos question

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:47:02 -0800

From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
Subject: Prepared Pianos question

> My opinion is that any musician, (I use the term in a snide way), who
wants
> me to do this sort of thing to a piano, will not only get a HUGE and
> EMPHATIC NO, will get a lecture on having respect for the instrument. I
will
> also suggest that they take up some other line of work. (I can think of
> several that are on their moronic level) And lastly, I will tell them to
> find someone else to do their dirty work. (There are those non-PTG types
> that will do anything for a buck.)
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> Joe,
        Is there any gray area in your world ?
    Gee --- Lighten up Dude . IMHO a prepared piano  does not mean a
disrespected  piano. Sure there are some knuckle heads putting stuff were
they shouldn't, and although I've never been asked to participate in
preparing one,  I wouldn't jump ugly with the request .
    Attacking  non PTG'ers and others as moronic in my opinion comes across
as shrill and intolerant. You certainly have the right to express your
opinion , but  civil discourse is done a disservice by this type of
commentary .
      Tom Driscoll RPT
            P.S.  I think I'll  listen to some John Cage for inspiration ,
shove some nuts , bolts , paperclips, and  tinfoil in my little girls
Wurlitzer and hear  how the theme from the Lion King sounds tomorrow .