information for a dissertation

LHudicek@AOL.COM LHudicek@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 07:30:58 EST

In a message dated 2/15/2002 1:06:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cfaulk2@juno.com writes:

> I think I got the title of this particular piece wrong. It should read
> "7minutes, 33 seconds". If memory serves me, this was part of a larger
> Cage work where the pianist sits at the piano, closes the fallboard, and
> observes total silence for that period of time.

To be absolutely correct.  It's 4' 33", and was significant in that it allows
the listener to observe the sounds around them.  More of a performance art
piece. There are three movements which are as follows...
I.  tacet
II.  tacet
III.tacet

but more can be debated on the Cage listserv!
Laurie