Coffee spill/Bill Bremmers comments

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:25:50 EST

In a message dated 2/17/02 9:50:56 AM Central Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net (Joseph Garrett) writes:

> Yikes! You recommended using acetone and then drying with a hair dryer!
> (snip) It flashes off so fast that it makes things cold, so there is no
need for "drying".

<<Not to mention, the acetone will make one heck of a mess of the finish.
Water works fine, on coffee and booze.
This is one time to give the solvents a miss.
Regards Roger>>

This is the first time I ever heard that a wound string has a finish!
Remember, I suggested acetone for cleaning a sticky spill from a wound string
or from other places where there is very bad contamination such as in
flanges.  This could apply to the agraffes but only if the contamination is
really tough to break up and yes, you wouldn't slop acetone all over
everything, it would take most plate finishes right off.

Over 15 years ago now, I freed up a hopelessly stuck action from a Bechstein
9 foot grand at the Frank Lloyd write estate.  That was before there was
Protek.  A few different technicians had tried a few different sprays, WD-40,
Silicone and I don't know what else.

I started with pure acetone to try to loosen the contamination.  I put on
repeated applications, worked the parts vigorously and let the action dry in
the hot sun and stiff breeze there was that day.  I followed up by mixing in
70% Isopropyl Alcohol, again with repeated applications and vigorously
working the parts.  I ended by adding distilled water to the mix.  Each
drying period went rather quickly because of the temperature and wind.

Believe me, I know better than to breathe that kind of stuff.  I wore a
respirator even though I was working outside in a strong breeze.

The end result is that to this day, that action is free and works fine.  I
was the only one who was able to fix it and therefore I got the job of taking
care of the pianos in that vast estate: 2 Bechsteins, 3 Steinways and a
Yamaha.  They are all tuned in EBVT and all used for either performance or
rehearsals before performances.

And yes, Joe, I routinely use a hair dryer to quick dry a bit of acetone that
I might use either for defeating contamination or for hardening hammers.
I've never started a fire that way.  I should note however that this is not a
daily routine and that when I do something like this, relatively small
amounts of solvent are used.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin