Was spoon benders now spoon adjustment

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:40:48 -0800

Tom,=20
      I'd like to suggest two alternative methods to using the =
spoonbender , especially on this asian vertical piano. Assuming even =
damper lift,  wedge the damper rod so the dampers are barely touching =
the strings then block the hammer rest rail so the hammers are halfway =
to the strings. Take the action out and adjust the spoons so the hammers =
and dampers wink @ the same time when you lift up on the whippen.This =
method is well known  has been in the journal and I suspect in  the =
archive .
    But the method I usually use on this piano is to remove the soft =
pedal rod, Allowing the action to be tipped back . With the plastic =
action knobs  removed and the action pushed forward into place, mark the =
damper heads that need adjustment with caulk. Use a marking code . (Long =
mark- bend a lot --- short mark-bend a little) .  Lean the action back =
and with some technique you can support the action and lift a whippen =
with one hand.Lifting the whippen exposes the spoon . With the other =
hand bend the spoon with a conventional damper wire tool in the combo =
handle. With a little practice you can get a good feel for the amount of =
adjustment necessary . Bend all those marked , push the action back =
,wipe the chalk off , test , remark and go again . With two or three =
passes you can get very accurate damper lift . Ten or fifteen minutes is =
usually all this will take.
     Again, even lift with the pedal is a prerequisite here.=20
    I always struggled with that spoonbender.=20
  =20
     Tom Driscoll