Butterflies! (spreading hammers)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:26:50 -0500

I have applied thick CA, sprayed with kicker, and squish together with fingers and hold for five or ten seconds - done. I must admit though, this has always been on an older piano. On the ones I have done like this the resultant tone seems quite consistent with the unaffected hammers. Although what I have done seems to work fine, I do consider it a "quick and dirty" method of addressing the problem.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "C Stewart" <calexste@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 3:49 PM
Subject: Butterflies! (spreading hammers)

List,

I'm working on a late 1980's era Baldwin spinet.  It seems to have been subjected to some excessive humidity at some point in its life, but is in pretty good shape.  Some of the hammers in the bass section have butterflied (there are no staples in these hammers).  My question is, short of removing the action, is there any efficient way to glue and clamp these back together?  (this piano belongs to my sister in-law, and I have limited time to work on it).  Preferred glues?

Thanks for any help!

-Court Stewart