Cut-Off Bar Crowning/Angling

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:26:34 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 17, 2002 6:57 AM
Subject: Cut-Off Bar Crowning/Angling

> One may choose to modify the perimeter of a soundboard rim system (rim,
belly rail, etc.) by adding or modifying a cut-off bar. However, unlike
other soundboard terminations, the soundboard usually extends beyond the
cut-off bar to the forward bass corner of the case for appearance sake (I
suppose we could put a little flower arrangement in there or something!). It
is generally recognized that an important feature of a soundboard
termination is to have your nice 1-1/2 or 2 degree angle on the rim system.
So I assume you want such an angle on the cut-off bar. But if you make a
linear.flat cut-off bar with a small angle on its top, then the soundboard
will have to bend into a reverse crown at the cut-off bar. Seems to me the
cut-off bar needs to be angled and crowned to match the shape and
orientation of the soundboard contact area.

> Is this good thinking, or am I losing sleep over nothing?

Well, over precious little anyway.

We try to match what was done around the rest of the rim. Or the bellyrail.
They are not always the same. If there is any ambiguity we leave it flat.

Del