Bridge Crown

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:27:45 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 17, 2002 7:06 AM
Subject: Bridge Crown

> When building a new bridge, my understanding is that you will want to put
a concave curve along the long axis of the bridge bottom (or maybe you will
even want to modify an old bridge that does not seem to have the proper
bottom curve). But how much curve? I strongly suspect no approach to this
will be perfect, but we presumably should have some target in mind. Do we
clamp the soundboard into the piano (or install it), let it equilibrate with
the shop environment (letting it achieve its normal crown), and then attempt
to put the same crown as the soundboard has inversely on the bottom of the
bridge? Or do we want to guess at how much the board will compress under
string load and target that curve/crown? Or do we want to approach it in
some other manner? Or just put a 60-foot radius on the bridge bottom and get
some sleep?

Save yourself some anxiety and catch up on that sleep. Leave it flat.

Del