silk for jack

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:38:58 EST

In a message dated 2/18/02 4:45:27 PM Central Standard Time,
poseyviolins@charter.net writes:

> I have a small ,old, baby grand  The silk loop that holds the wire spring
> for the jack broke.  Can someone tell me how fix it?   I already have the
> action out, but do I drill out the old silk or does it pull out some way?,
> Is there some other material that works as well as silk?  Is it a critical
> adjustment?  Thank you,
> Gerald

Gerald

The right way to repair this is to drill out the wooden plug. Instead of silk
thread, you can use almost any other kind of thread. Fishing line is probably
the easiest to get. Loop the thread, and push it through the hole. Then plug
the hole with a round toothpick.

For a quick fix, you can tie the thread around the jack adjustment screw.

Wim