Was shim pins/now crack options

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:46:47 EST

In a message dated 2/18/02 5:09:40 PM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> If there are cracks and it appears a shim may not hold well, perhaps the
> thing to consider is a plug and drill for the original size pin. Not really
> very difficult to do at all and very long lasting.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

Plugs are good if the plate has been removed.  The repair we are talking
about is with the plate still in the piano. Even if there is a plate bushing,
the diameter of the plug will not be big enough to then also drill a hole for
the tuning pin, (unless you first drill out the plate and that will be even
more work, and is not warranted for this kind of repair.)

Wim