Accordion Tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:33:14 EST

In a message dated 2/18/02 7:51:27 AM Central Standard Time, GPRogers1 writes:

> But
> there is no inharmonicity in reeds like piano strings   Question for
> Bill Bemmer:  I wonder how a HT would sound on a accordion or reed
> organ?
> This might be a fun experiment to try.

I have a Cajun accordion (the diatonic, button style).  It plays only a C
major scale and some notes are Push notes and some are Pull.  Consequently,
there is nothing that requires any tempering at all.  You can have pure 5ths
and pure 3rds too.

I actually had my 5ths tempered *wide* by 2 cents and my 3rds tempered wide
by 1 1/2 cents (a very slow, virtually inaudible beat).  This gives the
instrument a very big, bold, clean and in tune sound which makes the usual
tuning sound flat and "off" by comparison.

The Cajun musicians do not like any tremolo tuning which they call "wet
tuning".  However, the Zydeco musicians who come from the same area do like
that sound and usually use a chromatic accordion.

I think the issue about temperament for either a reed organ or chromatic
accordion is analogous to that of the piano.  Most people will *assume* that
ET is the only choice but at the same time want some kind of *color* so the
unisons are deliberately mistuned.  The possibilities are unlimited.  I would
start with 1/7 Comma Meantone with pure unisons.  That is my hypothesis but I
have very good reasons for thinking that way.

I have seen people write that reeds have no inharmonicity but when tuning my
accordion, I could measure some although it is a small amount.  If it is not
true inharmonicity, then it is something which mimics it but either way, it
means that the higher reeds can be tuned sharper by a cent or two, thereby
stretching the octaves just a bit.

By the way, I did *not* attempt to tune my own accordion.  I had the maker,
Larry Miller do it according to my specifications.  To see him work, you
would know not to mess around with this unless you plan to get into this kind
of work yourself.  He feels most comfortable working with a Strobe Tuner
although he does have an SAT I.

He and his wife are the friendliest, most accommodating people I have ever
met and both of them are artists in their own right.  Jackie Miller, his
wife,  makes authentic Cajun Mardi Gras costumes and masks.  Larry will
invite you into his shop and teach you some basic skills if this is the kind
of work you would like to learn.  They have a nice home and feel insulted if
you won't stay at their place rather than at a motel.  You can also park your
trailer or RV there.

They live about 30 miles west of Lafayette, Louisiana outside of a small
village called Iota.  This is an area of Louisiana where Cajun French is
still spoken and it is Larry's mother tongue.  If you speak French at all, he
can understand you but you may not understand his dialect.

Here is the URL for his interesting website:

http://accordions.com/bonteecajun/

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin