silk for jack

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:11:47 +0000

At 4:24 PM -0600 18/2/02, Gerald Posey wrote:
>I have a small ,old, baby grand  The silk loop that holds the wire spring
>for the jack broke.  Can someone tell me how fix it?   I already have the
>action out, but do I drill out the old silk or does it pull out some way?,

Make a drill the right size to remove the plug by grinding a point on
some (2mm.?) wire and filing one side flat.

|   |
|   |
|   |
   | |
   | |
   | |
   |/

>Is there some other material that works as well as silk?  Is it a critical
>adjustment?

Polyester cord is stronger and does not rot in the damp as silk does.
You can get 22 metre reels of 0.7 mm. black braided polyester cord
from Heckscher in London or direct from the makers at
<http://www.pearsalls.co.uk>.  Or you might be lucky at a model shop.

Get the length right by putting a width of veneer or card in the loop
and plug the hole with a wood chip or a toothpick or bamboo kebab
skewer.  Before you press in the plug, roll it under a knife about
5mm from the end so that it breaks off clean at the back and you have
only to trim it flush.

JD