Was spoon benders now spoon adjustment

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:36:53 -0500

Tom and Tom
Using a spoonbender isn't that tough - it just takes practice, like
anything else.  I've found that the spoonbender #16406 from APSCO
(page 22) works very well.  It's light, slender enough to fit between
the action parts, and inexpensive.  Check out the PACE manual on
upright regulation for a nice explanation of the procedure.
Practice, practice!

Respectfully,
Jon

>Tom,
>       I'd like to suggest two alternative methods to using
>the spoonbender , especially on this asian vertical piano. Assuming
>even damper lift,  wedge the damper rod so the dampers are barely
>touching the strings then block the hammer rest rail so the hammers
>are halfway to the strings. Take the action out and adjust the
>spoons so the hammers and dampers wink @ the same time when you lift
>up on the whippen.This method is well known  has been in the journal
>and I suspect in  the archive .
>     But the method I usually use on this piano is to remove the soft
>pedal rod, Allowing the action to be tipped back . With the plastic
>action knobs  removed and the action pushed forward into place, mark
>the damper heads that need adjustment with caulk. Use a marking code
>. (Long mark- bend a lot --- short mark-bend a little) .  Lean the
>action back and with some technique you can support the action and
>lift a whippen with one hand.Lifting the whippen exposes the
>spoon . With the other hand bend the spoon with a conventional
>damper wire tool in the combo handle. With a little practice you can
>get a good feel for the amount of adjustment necessary . Bend all
>those marked , push the action back ,wipe the chalk off , test ,
>remark and go again . With two or three passes you can get very
>accurate damper lift . Ten or fifteen minutes is usually all this
>will take.
>      Again, even lift with the pedal is a prerequisite here.
>     I always struggled with that spoonbender.
>
>      Tom Driscoll

Jon Ralinovsky
Piano Technician
Department of Music