Shellac on soundboard

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:08:49 EST

Daniel:
I always finish my soundboards with lacquer applied with commercial spraying
equipment. If you do not have this type of equipment, I believe I would apply
three coats of varnish applied with "panty hose". Just make a "wad" like you
would for french polishing and apply one thin coat..wait until
dry.....lightly sand ....tack cloth to remove grit and start the process over
again. I only use Shellac as a wash coat cut 3 to l. It seals the wood  but
it is also very brittle and will crack if applied too thick. I think you will
be happy with this panty hose process and clear or ;amber varnish.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.