getting punch(y)ings

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:11:49 -0500

Use tweezers!

Seriously -- the ones I use have very slender bent tips, originally =
designed to pick up itty bitty little pieces of hot silver solder in =
jewellery making.  If any piano person asks why the heat shields on the =
handles, they're told it is for when the punchings get too hot.

The tweezers commonly sold in hardware stores or supply houses with the =
big blunt rounded tips are so clumsy by comparison.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 12:06 PM
  Subject: getting punch(y)ings

  Over the years I have tried a number of different ways of holding =
punchings while leveling keys. I keep them in a compartment box, (you =
know, the kind with about 24 1" share cubicles). But to get one out has =
always been a challenge.  When I reach my fingers in the cubicle, I wind =
up picking up three or four of them. The thick punching aren't too bad, =
but those thin ones are a struggle. I've put them in the palm of my =
hand, and I've laid them on a flat surface. But I still have difficulty =
picking up just one punching, unless I wet my finger. And when you're =
leveling keys, your fingers have a tendency to get dirty, so that isn't =
too sanitary.=20

  So, what are some of you doing? Any tricks any one is willing to pass =
along to make leveling keys easier and more sanitary.=20

  Wim=20