Equal Temperament, Oh really, what else is news?

Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:46:30 -0800

There is a local composer/technician who has apparently done extensive =
research and found documentation suggesting that ET, contrary to popular =
belief, was actually being used pre-1800.  He has done a few =
presentations on this subject and though I haven't personally heard =
them, it certainly adds fuel to the fire, doesn't it.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 21, 2002 7:45 AM
  Subject: Re: Equal Temperament, Oh really, what else is news?

    "The breakthrough came in the eighteenth century,... Blah, blah =
blah... a universe of greatly expanded possibility, one that allowed =
Liszt, Chopin, Brahms, Debussy, and all those who followed to compose =
the piano music we listen to today."=20

    2001=20
    Stuart Isacoff=20
    Editor-in-Chief=20
    Piano Today=20

    (inside cover of a book titled "Temperament - the idea that solved =
music's greatest riddle")=20

    Let's see one of you guys or gals sell this dude one of them thar =
historical temperament tunings! Wow!=20

    Terry Farrell

  Some writing by the ancient Greek, Ptolomy can also be found where he =
describes the perfect symmetry of the sun, moon, planets and stars all =
revolving around the wonderfully *flat* earth.  There was a very long =
period in history, far longer than that of the piano during which any =
dispute of this very "logical" thinking and "obvious" truth, you would =
be imprisoned or executed.  It was only in 1994, I think that the =
Vatican finally forgave Galileo for his "sin" of believing otherwise.=20

  I and others are working on this but have many irons in the fire and =
consider this nonsense to be of very low priority.  Fortunately, some =
people have seen these kinds of disinformation campaigns for what they =
are.  Check this site out to see what I mean:=20

    http://www.ma.utexas.edu/~miker/tuning/tuning.html=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-=20