Equal Temperament, Oh really, what else is news?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:45:41 EST

> "The breakthrough came in the eighteenth century,... Blah, blah blah... a
> universe of greatly expanded possibility, one that allowed Liszt, Chopin,
> Brahms, Debussy, and all those who followed to compose the piano music we
> listen to today."
>
> 2001
> Stuart Isacoff
> Editor-in-Chief
> Piano Today
>
> (inside cover of a book titled "Temperament - the idea that solved music's
> greatest riddle")
>
> Let's see one of you guys or gals sell this dude one of them thar
> historical temperament tunings! Wow!
>
> Terry Farrell

Some writing by the ancient Greek, Ptolomy can also be found where he
describes the perfect symmetry of the sun, moon, planets and stars all
revolving around the wonderfully *flat* earth.  There was a very long period
in history, far longer than that of the piano during which any dispute of
this very "logical" thinking and "obvious" truth, you would be imprisoned or
executed.  It was only in 1994, I think that the Vatican finally forgave
Galileo for his "sin" of believing otherwise.

I and others are working on this but have many irons in the fire and consider
this nonsense to be of very low priority.  Fortunately, some people have seen
these kinds of disinformation campaigns for what they are.  Check this site
out to see what I mean:

   http://www.ma.utexas.edu/~miker/tuning/tuning.html

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin