Cease Fire! Apologies to all

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:43:14 EST

List,

After a very busy day, I came home to read what had been said about
everything and I do apologize once again to anyone and everyone who took
offense to the way I express things.

I am firmly committed to what I do.  I am first of all, a Piano Technician,
meaning that I care for the piano in a complete way although I am no longer
in the rebuilding end of the business because I have for at least 15 years
had too much regular piano service demand to make shop work practical.

I became interested in HT's reluctantly and believed all of the things I see
written here at one time.  I did, however finally renounce the use of ET in
1989 and have never tuned it since.  I practice a number of HT's but had
searched for years for one which would have the same universal application
for which ET is known.  That lead to the development of the EBVT with
Tempered Octaves, the arrangement I use most often.

It has been in use now for 10 years and was used 4 times today, the last one
being a 3 hour Concert Tuning and preparation for an event tomorrow.  There
will be a premier of a new work for piano and chorus which is poetry set to
music.  The rest of the concert will be similar, all choral music and piano,
all poetry set to music.  This happens to be a favorite combination of mine,
so I am very much looking forward to it.  I'll be attending and early dinner
party, then going with a group to the concert.

I wouldn't at all be interested in any debate or discussion about whether
this 21 Century music should have been in ET.  I do what I do because I
believe in what I do and it works for me.  While I appreciate the offering of
the one person who came up with some 19th Century evidence of use of ET, I
was not at all convinced by it but I did see from that writer what I have
often recognized, the same resistance to HT's that I have for ET.  I think
Chopin would have been uncomfortable with ET and I wouldn't want to hear it
although I can hardly avoid it.

We can all agree to disagree, yes, and I suggest we all do but let's leave at
least some room for the minority's rights and opinions.  Alternatives to ET
for the modern piano is a movement which is not apt to go away, nor am I.  If
you don't see me write anything for a few days or a week, it's either because
I am far too busy to do so or there is no current subject with which I would
want to get involved.  I'll be lucky to have enough time to get Jason
Kanter's graphs on my website, this weekend, so I don't really need to get
involved with any more bickering or defense of my beliefs.

I did want to apologize in particular to the person who took offense at my
analogy to Scientific Creationism.  I am a life long, practicing Catholic but
that doesn't mean I agree with everything my church teaches or the positions
it takes.  I only meant to allude to a particular line of thinking which many
in my own church have that I always believed was without foundation.  (Of
course, that is strictly my opinion).  Needless to say, I find lots of what I
consider foundationless regarding not only ET but also among the alternatives
and other aspects of our work as well.  I used to call it "baloney" to avoid
a more offensive and inflammatory term.

If you read something I write and see "ranting and raving" or disturbed
anger, please dismiss the thought entirely.  I don't rant and rave and I'm
not angry at anyone even if my words may make it appear so.  I am a theater
actor and creative writer aside from my work as a piano technician, so, in
the words Bernstein's musical, On The Town, "Sometimes, I get carried away".

I can be quite quick and sharp with a come back, quite satirical and be quite
cynical sounding but if you knew me personally, you'd know that I mean it no
more seriously than Groucho Marx would have.  I respect all of you.  My goal
as a piano technician and member of PTG has always been the advancement of
the entire profession, not just maintaining the status quo.

Sincerely,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin