punchings leveling

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:40:31 -0500

Gerald,

Before you start changing anything, you need to be sure what keydip and
keyheight you need to make this action work.  Take a look at what you have
and how it fits the case parts.  Then try regulating a couple of notes to
find out what works on this particular instrument.  Specs are a place to
start but they're only that - a place to start.

There are a number of good books on the subject that would be of great help
to you.  In particular Danny Boone's "Regulating Grand Piano Touch and Tone"
is one of the most comprehensive.  Yamaha's "37 Steps" grand regulation
video is also exceptional (if it's still available.)

However, the best advice I can offer you is to plan to attend the Convention
and Technical Institute this June.  LaRoy Edwards and the Yamaha Team will
present an All-day session on Grand Regulation.  Susan Graham will head up
the 3 hour hands-on Grand Regulation Session.  Rick Baldassin and Carl Teel
will present a brand new class entitled "Are you Regulationally Challenged."
Dave Koelzer, Nick Gravagne, Kent Webb, Richard Davenport, Kathy Smith and
David Vanderlip will all cover various aspects of this in their classes as
well.  This is far from a complete list but ask around about the credentials
of any of these folks.  You'll see that we have the best and brightest
practically giving away centuries worth or experience.

There's nothing like seeing it first hand so please be sure that you (and
everyone else reading) doesn't miss out on this opportunity!

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Director - TEAM2002
June 26-30, 2002 - Chicago, IL
agilreath@mindspring.com
http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm
Assistant Directors: Gary Neie, RPT - Claude Harding, RPT - Joel Jones,
RPT - Laura Olsen, RPT