punchings leveling

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:41:14 EST

poseyviolins@charter.net writes:

> The information I have
> says to decrease key dip by removing center shims.  If I do that, then they
> won't be level.  To level them would mean putting the shims back in.  Is is
> right to add shims to the front to decrease key dip?
>     On a related note (?) what is aftertouch?  It sounds like an adjustment
> of something after the key has travelled the required 3/8".
>     Hopefully, my naive questions are easy to answer.
> Gerald

Gerald

The information you have has either been misinterpreted, or is wrong. You
need to level the keys first, by using the (shim) punchings. To increase or
decrease dip, you add or remove front rail punchings. You do not change the
key leveling.

After touch is the movement of the key after let off.

Wim

PS. You are not the first, and will certainly not be the last person, who is
new to the art of piano tuning, to ask a naive question. The main purpose of
this list is to answer questions. To some, who have been in the business for
a long time, there will be questions that might seem rudimentary. Yet, those
same people will ask some questions which will seem rudimentary to those who
have been in the business for only a short time. My answer to you might even
stir up a debate, because even a person who has been in the business for 25
years, has been known to make a mistake, once in a while (big grin). Welcome
to the world of piano technology. And good luck.

Wim