W.N.G. Action

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:46:49 -0500

Okay sensei,

I haven't seen quite enough WN&G actions to find the flaw.  Care to share?

Allan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 8:56 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: W.N.G. Action

 Hello to All;

  Wessell, Nickel and Gross  all worked building
actions for Steinway.  In 1875 Otto Wessell and
Adam Nickel and Gross started thier own action co.
in N.Y. City. They immediately started useing a screw
to adjustment  the tension on the repetiton lever
spring. Something they wanted thier previolus
employer to do. It has been reported that Otto would
deliver an action to a factory himself to see if it met
the buyers approvel..
   The W.N.G. action quickly became the action to have
in quality pianos.  Mason & Hamlin and Weber
were were only two amoung the high quality piano
makers to use these actions. Most all pianos built
in Boston used this action.
   The W.N.G. built one  grand whippen that had a
design flaw. Can anyone tell me what it was?

  Hope this helps,
  Jack Wyatt