Cease Fire! Apologies to all

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:47:52 -0500

First, to Bill:
        I haven't been on this list as long as some, and I don't know
you as well as some others.  Nevertheless, it seems to me you are more
ready than in the past to apologize when you have been offensive, and if
so, that's a step in the right direction.
        It is your perception that you use satire and cynicism but that
you do not rant and rave.  Many think otherwise.  We have to be much
more careful how we word things written, since we readers do not have
the benefit of facial expressions, vocal inflection, etc., to help us
interpret your meaning.  We have no way of knowing that you are not any
more serious than Groucho Marx, as you put it, so we take your words at
face value.

To the rest of us:
        Most of us have a personal weakness in one area or another.  We
keep working at it, hopefully, and we get better at it.  My wife and I
know, after thirty years of marriage, that we still miscommunicate at
times.
        Is Bill getting better at expressing himself in a non-abrasive
way than in the past?  It seems to me he is.  If he will continue
working at expressing himself in a way that either is, or appears to be,
less hostile, are we willing to accept his apology and go on from here?
I hope so.  People can change, but sometimes it is a long slow process.
        Incidentally, I do not know Bill personally.  Other than seeing
him once in passing at a convention, I have never met him.  I only know
that there is so much strife in the world that if I can improve
interpersonal relationships in even a little way, I would like to try.

Regards,
Clyde

[major snips]