Puzzler/Damper Squeak

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:23:34 -0800

Just got home from tuning/cleaning and chasing a damper squeak, on a 5'1"
Wurlitzer Grand. It had a definite squeak. As usual, I started with the
pedal box and worked up. Big mistake, but at least all of the trapwork is
clean and lubricated now. <G> Followed up to the lift "bar", lubed that,
lubed it's pivots. Still a squeak, (actually several in harmony!). Started
lifting each damper lever, with the thought that possibly the damper wires
were squeaking in the guide bushing. FINALLY, I found it, (actually
several)! In that particular model, each, (and every) lever has a helper
spring that works in a grove. Extremely hard to see without removing the
entire back action, (which I did not do). Those dratted springs were
squeaking in their slots! Worked some VJ lube into the grooves. Problem
solved. (For now!)
Sheesh! I've been at this for almost 30 years and that's a first. I guess
that's why I'm still at it. Still plenty to learn and fix!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)