Sustain of 19th Century Pianos Statement/Owen Jorgensen

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:44:00 -0800

I have both of Owens books. Although it's been a while since I've perused
them, I don't recall reading a statement that one could not have possibly
tuned ET on 19th century instruments, because the sustain was not long
enough.
I tune several pianos, from the beginnings of the 19th century and I'm here
to tell you, even with their original strings, intact, the sustain is more
than sufficient to tune any beat rate you wish. This idea should go the way
of the DoDo bird, IMHO!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)