Tight Damper Flanges

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:29:12 -0800

Bigeartb@AOL.COM wrote:

>List:
>Removed dampers on 1910 grand piano.....wires very, very tight in flange
>required gentle twisting to remove....Have filed burrs on damper wires and
>polished wire with 0000 steel wool....

You should not polish/clean damper wires, (or key pins, etc.), with
steel wool.   However so subtle to the naked eye they may be, the tiny
scratches it leaves behind can be detrimental to bushings over time.
 Friction rubbing against the abrasive surface, (though it may seem
smooth), can dramatically reduce the life of the felt after millions of
note playing cycles.  These parts should be polished with an appropriate
compound/buffed or better if possible replaced.

Hope this doesn't sound like a criticism, it's not.  Just fact we should
all be aware of.   Mongo say, "Clean- good, wool- bad!"

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV