Beginner Student and String Breakage

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:22:03 -0500

You are welcome Laura.

> I will definitely stick with the jerking method of tuning for now, but
> wonder is it normal at some notches to hear a fairly firm crack sound?

I'm not sure what you mean by notches. If you are talking about a cracking noise when you jerk the tuning pin into turning just a little, yes, some pianos will have a rather loud crack sound. I find it more commonly in newer pianos with tighter pin blocks - but sometimes even older pianos with not-so-tight blocks will make a pretty good cracking sound.

Terry Farrell