Beginner Student and String Breakage

Van Der Rhoer laurav1@mac.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:07:20 +0100

Again thanks for all the kind and helpful responses!

I will keep both Jan Grossbach and Baumgartel in mind when I next need a
string -- hope I know how to do it by then!  (Thank you, Isaac Oleg, for the
link to all European supply addresses and the bass string maker in Germany,
HellerBass.)

Tomorrow a PROFESSIONAL is coming to replace my broken string.  A good
opportunity for me to observe and learn.

Jahn Pianoteile sounds like a good place to order the Center Pin Lubricant
-- does anyone know what it would be called in German?

Thank you Terry Farrell for answering so many of my questions.  And for
encouragement and tips from Kevin Ramsey and Don Rose.

I will definitely stick with the jerking method of tuning for now, but
wonder is it normal at some notches to hear a fairly firm crack sound?  (The
string that broke didn't do that, but with other strings I noticed it.)

(Antares, I only know my great grandfather was Dutch, but have never known
exactly where my name comes from.  He lived in Germany for much of his life
though.  Therefore, southern Holland close to the border with Germany is a
possibility).

Regards,

Laura