New Yamaha C-1 "swoosh"

Sun, 24 Feb 2002 06:55:33 -0800

The best way to reduce the noise to a minimum is to trim the trichord split
dampers where the felt protrudes below the strings.  Anything below the
bottom of the string is a waste and serves no purpose.  Use a very sharp
pair of small cosmetic scissors and don't hurry.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Mc" <gmcc@charter.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 24, 2002 6:38 AM
Subject: New Yamaha C-1 "swoosh"

> I'm aware that Yamaha grands make a soft swoosh sound when using the
sustain pedal, caused by the trichords brushing the strings as they lift.
> A customer has a new C-1 in a room with wood floors and  high ceiling. In
the ceiling over the piano, looks like a glass bubble with an art design on
it .So the acoustics in the room are very poor to begin with...In discussing
the problem, I stuck my head under the lid,  and while talking it seemed
like someone turned the reverb knob up a few more knotches.  So I think what
she is hearing, in addition to the swoosh, is the sound of partials becoming
active as the trichord brushes the string, because indeed, when you press
the pedal, there is a series of a tonal scale, not loud, but definately
audible.  Any suggestions on what to do?
> And I've not studied this, but why does this occur on Yamaha's and not
Steinway or Baldwin?