Beginner Student and String Breakage

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:17:19 -0500

Laura,
    Send for the Center Pin Lube. I'm not sure of the consistency of VJ lube but
I think it's too thick. It should be like water. I typically apply it with a
syringe or similar tool. I apply it at all points where the string makes contact
with anything else. I may not apply in every contact area though, it depends on
whether the strings are rusty or not.
    I suggest that you do not tap the string but rather tap the pin. If you tap
the strings down onto the bridge you will be "denting" the top of the bridge and
causing more problems that further tapping will not solve. Instead, tap the pin
and the string will gently go down to the bridge top with the pin. Wood has a
way of expelling things through many humidity fluctuations. Ever see a nail head
protruding from a piece of wood when you know it was driven all the way in
originally? I've even seen this happen with tuning pins. Some are so high out of
the block that they just couldn't have gotten there any other way.
    Hope this helps.

Greg

--
Greg Newell