Beginner Student and String Breakage

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:40:00 -0800

Be sure to buy a quality micrometer. You will need it for everything from
tuning pins to center pins to balance rail pins to guesstimating felt
thickness. You can't do ANYTHING without knowing what size it is.
I ordered a compliment of the reels with brakes. Every 1/2 size from #13 to
#17 [.031 to .039 inches] plus every whole size through out the range.
Believe me, you will uncover many a defective string while tuning. If the
piano warrants replacement with identical wire, it should not be left with
without any wire as the damage to the hammer and maybe center pins could
mean headaches. Some pianos the wire has been missing for years. You need
the heavy gauge stuff to use as a leader to tie bass strings. Save any
broken bass strings, you'll find the core wire is used to make a string
lifter for leveling strings and tightening up tuning pin coils. Also a screw
driver levered off another pin works for that if you haven't gotten the coil
lifter that comes with the Potter course. It's the one with the string
spacer on the other end. I bought a 3/16" or about 5mm brass rod at the
local building store and filed a groove across the end to seat on the
string. The wire cutters are usually are large enough for tapping. Don't
bury the wire into the bridge cap, you are trying to seat the wire against
the bridge pin too. Use the brass to seat the wire around the hitch pin and
level the tuning pin coils. I also just bought Joe Gooses, I mean Goss, bent
brass rod with a well thought out end that has great feel for the string and
sideways movement. This defines the bends of the wire around the bridge
pins, eliminating false beats, even between bass strings or upright action
parts. (nice tool Joe, The good sideways grab makes it less likely to punch
a hole in the sound board.) About an inch or two inches above the bridge,
give the string a good stretch towards the pin and slightly down. Guess how
far sharp to pull the string so settling brings it down to pitch. Adjust
sharpness for the next string.
Keith R.