Dampers

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:22:09 -0400

I have seen the trichord, toward the agraffe, with the flat on the back
side.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Meyer" <cmpiano@attbi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 3:35 PM
Subject: Dampers

> I just installed a set of dampers in a grand.  The first three notes above
the bass break have been converted to bichord wound.  The wedge dampers work
great there.  The first flat dampers above that ring a bit.  I didn't use
very long  pieces of flat (two pieces) on those.  I'm thinking that after I
get the action finished and installed I might want to improve those first
few.  Using trichord dampers comes to mind.

> My question is:  If I use one piece of flat felt and one piece of trichord
felt, should I put the trichord toward the agraffe or the bridge?  Or, would
it be best to use trichord both places?

> After some thought, I think the offending ringing may be due to the
shorter segment of the wire and hence a trichord near the agraffe would be
more effective.