Ray Charles played Overs' no. 003 in concert

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:32:18 +1100

Richard Galassini wrote:

>I think I have tried some of Wyndham Eststes chardonnay. Is this
>possible? Do they export?

Yes, Wyndham Estate is one of the larger Australian wine producing
companies who export product.

>More importantly, when will YOU export?

While piano no. 003 was enthusiastically received in Reno, we still
have a lot to do here before we are ready to service the demands of
an export market. There's no point in setting up a distribution
network when we have very little production capacity. Last July when
I returned from Reno, I was considering building six pianos during
the 2002 year. However, various factors have lead to a reassessment
of this plan, and now only two more of the current 225 pianos, which
uses the Samick plate and rim, will be built. Three Australian
tertiary music institutions are interested in no. 004, but it remains
available at this time, and is currently priced at US$49,000 FOB.
While I would prefer to place this piano locally at this time, all
options will be considered. The plate and rim for the next two pianos
have arrived, and while these were built quite closely to the revised
specification list supplied, they were not made precisely to
specification (communication is always a difficult with piano
companies, since there is no common nomenclature). Fortunately, it
will be possible to incorporate the refinements I had planned for
these instruments relative to the specification of piano no. 003.

To answer your question Richard, I would like to be exporting
instruments by 2004, and my preferred first representative would be a
suitable dealer on the US west coast. The Californian market would
seem to be particularly easy to supply for us since Korean Air run a
freighter service to both Sydney and LA. When we took no. 003 to Reno
it was back loaded to Seoul, then taken on to LA.

I am currently designing a 230 cm grand and a 280 cm concert grand.
These pianos (with the exception of the keyboard, action, hammers and
wire will be all-Australian made. The outer and inner rim will be
made from a local southern Beech, Nothofagus moorei  (a remnant rain
forest tree with an ADD of around 0.74 grams per cc and who's wood is
fine and even and suitable for steam bending, These trees date back
to the days of Gondwanaland - the ancient southern super-continent).
A 185 grand piano, which at this stage will be the smallest grand
piano we will produce, will be developed at a later stage (top
elevation drawings of all three cases can be viewed at
http://overspianos.com.au/cases.html ).

At this time, we have been concentrating on developing product
awareness from within Australia.

Regards to all,

Ron O
--