getting punch(y)ings

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:36:24 -0800

Wim et al

Some come-alongs are pullers not hoists.  I've seen some that say (not =
for hoisting).  They may not be safe.  Of course some are.

Harbour Freight Tools has a chain hoist (1 ton) for $49.99. =20
Also an electric hoist for $79.99, rated 440 lbs. I have one for 880 lbs =
that cost about $139.99.  Check catalog on the net.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 2:42 PM
  Subject: Re: getting punch(y)ings

  In a message dated 2/23/02 12:25:39 AM !!!First Boot!!!, =
Bigeartb@AOL.COM writes:=20

    WHEN YOU USE THE COME ALONG, DO YOU=20
    USE ONLY ONE SUPPORT STRAP TIED  IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HARP OR =
MULTIPLE STRAPS=20
    TIED LIKE A "TEE-PEE"?

  I use a 3/4" nylon rope. I tie one end of the rope to the capo bar at =
the treble end and cross brace. Then to the hook on the come-alomg. Then =
I bring the rope to the bass end somewhere, and back to the hook. Then =
to one of the plate holes, and back to the hook. If there is a place at =
the tail end of the plate to put the rope around, I bring it there also. =
I then adjust the different sections of the rope so that the plate lifts =
almost level. It takes a little maneuvering, but most of the time I get =
the plate pretty level. That makes it easy to bring it down on the nose =
bolts.  But you're right, 9 nose bolts is a lot.=20

  Good luck=20

  Wim=20