An Awesome Moment

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 05:54:46 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Carol R. Beigel <crbrpt@bellatlantic.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 9:02 PM
Subject: An Awesome Moment

 > We tell people who want to join our profession to acquire an old upright
and
> practice repair and regulation.  Then we ask them to practice tuning on
it!

         Yeah, I learned the basics of tuning and repair on old uprights and
spinets also, but in a way it was good because we learned how  to deal with
false beats, misshapen hammers, loose pins, breaking strings, poor tone, bad
regulation, etc. right off the bat, instead of being "spoiled" by brand-new
high end grands.

> This weekend I attended the first full symphony orchestra concert in my
> adult life.  I heard my first piano concerto.  I met my first professional
> pianist.  I heard my tuning on a concert hall stage for the first time.
It
> was an awesome moment in my life.  I guess I better learn to tie a knot in
> piano wire!
>
> Carol Beigel, RPT

     Congratulations!!!  Didn't you have to splice a string for the repair
part of the technical exam?
                                                                        --Da
vid Nereson, RPT , Denver