Tech tip,B/R holes

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:25:59 -0600

Hi Terry,
                Early morning brain burp Eh!   <G>  well I get premature
senior
moments,  so don't worry about it.
I just give the hole two quick pumps, thats enough to keep the hole tight, but
allow the key to slowly slide down the BR pin when it's raised 1/8'', with the
weight of the action on the back of the key.

Sizing the mortices during the bushing process is the correct practice. Jjust
as important as sizing the bushing with the right thickness of cloth and
cauls.

My thoughts on using the drill, is that it is more consistent, vs hand
reaming.  Good quality key fitting is possibly one of the most neglected jobs
in our craft.  Even touch can only be attained, if the friction of the keybed
is even.

Regards Roger

>****After finishing his first cup of coffee - Terry re-evaluates his response
to Roger's post.****

>Sorry Roger. Itis very early in the morning. I am leaving the above just
as an
example of how easy it is to misread a post. After re-reading your post for
the
fifth time, I see you are sizing balance rail holes - not mortices! OK. Now I
get it. Geeeesh! Let me grab that second cup of coffee.....

>Now for a pertinent question/response to your post: When you run the
drill-mounted balance rail pin throught the mortice and balance rail hole from
the top, do you make an effort to sweep the pin through the front-to-back
extents of the mortice so that the balance rail hole gets its little needed
angles to accomodate this movement when the key is installed in keyframe? Or
will that make it too loose - maybe induce pulley key? Or do you just go
through the middle of the mortice and pump up and down twice (that's what I
gather from you description - but it is early of course - or is this post
about
how to level a keyframe  :-)  ???)?