A metrowestdailynews.com article from MoodyPiano@aol.com

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:23:22 EST

In a message dated 2/24/02 6:22:24 PM Central Standard Time,
MoodyPiano@AOL.COM writes:

> According to local legend, Ruth picked up his friend's piano, carried it
> outside and heaved it off the deck, where it tumbled down a small hill and
> splashed into the pond about 50 feet away

I have heard about the Babe's super human strength before, but picking up a
piano is almost an unbelievable feat. The pianos at that time weighed in
excess of 600 pounds. Yes, a person can lift 600 pounds, but not when it is
in the shape of a piano. I suspect that Ruth pushed the piano off the deck,
and probably through the railing. With good casters, almost anyone can do
that.

> ince then, the piano has become a symbol of both Ruth's wild lifestyle and
> his superhuman strength."Muscled hero that he was, I think he threw it as a
> demonstration of his strength," said Kevin Kennedy, a Sudbury resident and
> teacher for the Restoration Project, which hopes to refurbish the piano.The
> Acton-based Restoration Project trains people recovering from mental
> illnesses to restore furniture.If the piano is in the pond, the search team
> thinks it is less than 50 feet away from the shore. If the piano is
> positively identified, an excavation permit would be needed to retrieve it
> later."We're confident we can save it and play it again," said Kennedy, a
> local upholsterer.

Me thinks Mr. Kennedy is looking for some publicity for his upholstery
business. I guess he figures if he can restore a couch, a piano shouldn't be
much different. (ha). As Ron said, the mental illness factor has to be
seriously taken into consideration.

Wim