Call for HT data

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:44:06 -0800

List, this is a call for more HT data. I would particularly like responses
from those of you who practice HT or modified ET in your work -- Ed Foote,
Jim Coleman Sr., Paul Bailey, others.

I am studying the HTs and modern departures from ET and have been creating
graphs to enable the viewer to "see" what each of the temperaments sounds
like and compare the HTs at a glance. It promises to turn into a very
interesting PDF document, which I will make available on the web. It should
also be a great boon to the ongoing dialog about this subject.

I have found that all the HTs can be mathematically arranged in a kind of
"spectrum".
At one end you have the temperaments with the greatest number of purest
thirds and fifths, at the expense of sacrificing playability of several of
the keys.
At the other end you have pure ET, in which there are the greatest number of
playable keys at the expense of the purity of all the thirds and fifths.

I need additional data that is not in the TuneLab set of temperament files.
I am not currently blessed with a Jorgensen book. For example, Ed Foote
recently has mentioned "reverse well", and I don't have it. There must be
others that are significant and missing from my data.

The sequence is approximately like this:

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF SLOW/JUST THIRDS; MAXIMUM SACRIFICE OF SOME KEYS
John Holden 1 5th syntonic
Gottfried Keller 1 5th ditonic
Gioseffo Zarlino 2 7th
Christiaan Huygens 31
Aron's 1/4 Syntonic Comma Meantone - equal beating
17th Century Meantone
1799 Meantone
1797 Meantone
Improved Wm Hawkes meantone
Alexander Metcalf Fisher
Equal Beating Prinz Well
Werckmeister III
Stanhope 1-3 Comma
Stanhope Equal Beating
Vallotti-Young well
Kirnberger III
Anton Bemetzrieder Pythagorean
Vallotti Well (1750)
Early 18th Century Well
A Merrick Q-E
14th Century Pythagorean
Kellner Wohltemperirt/Bach
Paul Bailey Well 2002
Ellis Tuner Well 2
Bremmer EBVT
Ellis Tuner Well 4
Coleman Balanced 16
Coleman 16
Thomas Young #1
Rep 18th cent well
Coleman 11
Jean-Baptiste Romieu 1/7 Comma Meantone of 1755
Peter Prelleur well
Jean Jousse well
Equal-beating JJ Rousseau
Tuner's Guide well 1
Rep Victorian well
Henricus Grammateus Pythagorean
Charles E Moscow Pythagorean
Neidhardt-MarpurgDeMorganPythag
George Frederick Handel Well
Augustus De Morgan unequal
Coleman 4
Equal beating J.Preston Well
Viennese Q-E          [from here down, the temperaments are so similar
Ellis Tuner 5 Q-E      [that I doubt a trained ear could distinguish
Tuner's Guide well 3    [between them.]
Tuner's Guide well 2
Alexander John Ellis 1875 Q-E
Tuner's Guide Marsh Q-E
Tuner's Guide Becket Q-E
Jean Jousse Q-E
Howard Willet Pyle Q-E
FACTORY TUNERS 1840 Q-E
Alexander John Ellis 1885 Q-E
Equal Temperament
NO SLOW (JUST) THIRDS OR FIFTHS; MINIMUM SACRIFICE IN ANY KEY

The TuneLab set that I have not yet incorporated includes the following;
e.g. I HAVE the following data but have not yet analyzed it:
Jean-Le Rond Dalembert
Johann C Gottlieb Graupner Q-E
Johann George Neidhardt Pythag
Johann Nepomuk Hummel Q-E
Johann Philipp Kimberger well
John Marsh 4 25th syntonic
Mark Wicks Q-E
Pietro Aaron quarter syntonic
ROBERT SMITH 50
Theoretical ChasEarl Stanhope
Theoretical JJ Rousseau
Theoretical JohnPreston well
Theoretical Prinz well
Francesco AntonioVallotti well

Thanks in advance

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799