Test Blows

SimsPiano@AOL.COM SimsPiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:48:11 EST

Hi,
I've been taught to do a hard test blow on each string as I tune.   I've been
wondering if the following might be a more efficient way to tune using a test
blow.
1) Tune the entire piano using no hard test blows, but working the hammer
back and forth to try to take all torque out of the pin once the pitch is
right.
2) After the whole thing is tuned, go back and give each key a few hard test
blows.
3) Now touch up whatever went out.
What I figured was that on trichords and bichords, you're only hitting one
test blow per 2 or 3 strings instead of 1 per string, which means either 2 or
3 times fewer test blows.
By the way, I use a SAT and start A0 and go up the keyboard.
Comments??
Thanks,
Corey