squeak

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:24:07 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

I've got a small squeak in a vertical Renner action where the damper lift
rod rubs against the felt of a damper lever. It only happens on one note.

I gently scratched the felt a little to fluff it up some, and the squeak
went away for a day, but then it came back.

Is there any lubricant that could be used to cure this squeak? It's felt
against metal. Or is there anything I can do to the felt?

Thanks,

Charles

P.S. In case you want to start from scratch here are the facts:
   1) If you play the note, there is no squeak.
   2) You hear the squeak when you press and release the damper pedal.
   3) If you hold down that note while pressing and releasing the damper
pedal, you don't hear the squeak.
   4) If you manually lift the damper off the string on that one note and
then press and release the damper pedal, you don't hear the squeak.
   5) While you manually lift and release the damper lever of that one
note, you don't hear the squeak.