List tuning

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:19:25 EST

In a message dated 2/26/02 10:48:02 PM, mjbkspal@execpc.com writes:

<< I'm curious about the customer and the HT.  Was it requested, or did you
sell it, or did you just do it without telling? >>

I just did it.  It was a newly bought piano, a Baldwin console about 25 years
old in good condition, but 57 cents flat at A4.  The only pianist in the
house is a 9 year old beginner.  I felt the Moore favored the white keys
which would be the only keys that would be used.  This is only my second
Moore tuning and it's quite a mild deviation from ET.  I didn't think anyone
in the house would understand what I was talking about if I explained what I
did, nor would anyone be able to hear the difference.  I kind of liked it,
though.

I have, in the past, shared in the decision (ET vs. HT) with the client.
Depends on whether the client would understand the option.  I always ask who
the pianist is in the house, and if there is only a beginner, I think that
EBVT or Moore are good options.  (Please, no offense intended!  I also tune
my own pianos in EBVT...)

Thanks, Mike, for the tip on User Temperaments.  As I said before, I don't
tune HTs very often because of the time it takes to enter the values in, and
because tuning aurally not only takes me longer, but on some pianos, octaves
6 and 7 can be difficult to tune through the false beats; but now, if the
situation warrants it (IMHO) I can go ahead and tune any piano in Moore or
EBVT and still get out of the house in a timely fashion.

Tom Sivak