Sagenhaft

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:26:14 -0500

Found mention of it in Larry Fine's book.  Made in China by the Dongbei
Piano Co.  Shall we say politely that these are "economy grade" pianos ...?
My understanding is that the quality of Chinese pianos is improving rapidly,
but they still have a ways to go.

If this piano really is "for one-time use only," it should be equipped with
or at least have provisions for installing the following:

As per Jim Bryant - Trebuchet brackets (if they're sturdy enough), fuses (as
per Ron Nossaman) or electrical contacts and explicit instructions on where
to place the explosives (in Chinese no less, possibly with comical
translations into English), for the desired effect.  One thought is for the
piano to implode from the string tension (when a trebuchet is not available
and/or when space is a consideration).  Another thought is to launch it and
have it explode in a great fireball in mid-flight.

Flame suit doesn't fit anymore ......
Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tvak@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:40 PM
Subject: Sagenhatt

Tuned a Sagenhatt vertical today.  Never heard of this brand before.  I
wasn't thrilled with its tone, the sustain lacking on individual notes here
and there, very uneven.  Just got me to thinking...

What might one _look_ for in judging the quality of the piano, other than
its
sound?  One thing I look for is the orientation of the wood in the sound
board.  In a cheap vertical the grain will often go horizontal to the ground
instead of on an angle.  Two pedals instead of three might be a clue to a
cheaper model.

But what other tell-tale cost-cutting clues might there be?  (I can envision
some of the comic responses this question likely will garner...though the
question is asked in earnest, I admit I look forward to a good laugh as much
as anyone.)

As I tuned this Sagenhatt my opinion of the instrument got lower and lower,
but if I had been called to appraise it what tips might I gather from just
eyeballing it?

In a related question, I've read that cheaper grands have notches in the
long
bridge while in better pianos the plate struts will pass over the bridge.
Why would it be any cheaper to do it one way versus the other?

Tom Sivak