String Replaced

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:32:42 -0600

Hi Laura,

I can't think why a cracked sound board would make string breakage more
likely--unless it simply indicates the instrument is very old.

The effect with the tuning pins you are experiencing is often called
"jumpy" pins.

Graphite on bridges is pretty standard in North America. It probably does
not contribute to the string sliding accross the bridge, so I would almost
class it as a "sales gimick".

I would suggest you download tunelab pro and the user manual from:

http://www.tunelab-world.com/tlp.html

At 05:47 PM 2/27/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Now that the Middle C string has been replaced, here is what the technician
>thought about my Baldwin:  he said it was "not undangerous" to tune because
>the pins are quite tight, but when they move they move a great amount
>unexpectedly.  He thought I probably had that happen.

>Apparently, there are also two or more cracks in the soundboard, which were
>repaired earlier, but he also suggested it makes string breakage more
>possible; somehow to do with getting the piano pitch to A 440, which was
>done two weeks before, but makes for tricky tuning.  Too advanced for me,
>I'm afraid.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/