On the course of discussion(the behavior of soundboards)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:45:08 0000

Stephen,

I think the discussion has calmed down because most of the participants have
given up.  If we are going to start afresh with short, dispassionate synopses, then
I also think it would be an appropriate time to have a synopsis of the applicability
of the non-linear (or other descriptor of your choice) view of how the system works
to design of a piano.  I believe that Robin said at one time that the implications are
profound.  Perhaps he can expand on that.
Treating the system as linear (a simple spring-mass system, the bridge moves
first which moves the soundboard, the pressurists view, or any other way you want
to describe or label it) seems to lead toward certain design parameters: for example,
stiff but light bridge and soundboard configuration at the high end, flexible bridge and soundboard at the low end, massive capo or string termination at the plate at the top
end, high down bearing at the top end, low bearing at the low end, etc.  These
things seem to work in practice.  They also seem to be supported by trends in
piano design which were largely driven by empirical data.  If this view of things
is incorrect then how will having the 'correct' view change or influence the design?

Hooke's Law apparently is only true at low load levels.  Beam formulas that you
get out of any engineering handbook are based on many assumptions such as
load levels not too high, plane sections remaining plane, etc.  This would seem
to indicate that these formulas may not 'really' describe how beams behave, but
are merely simple minded approximations of what is 'really' happening.  That
doesn't prevent these 'laws' and formulas from being used to design and build many
useful structures and products.  Would these products be designed any differently if
we knew how beams 'really' behave or how materials 'really' behave under load?
I doubt it.

In the case of the piano, our ignorant or simple minded view of how things work hasn't
hindered us from designing pianos that musicians want to play.  Will understanding
how things 'really' work improve our chances of doing so?  If not, other than as an
academic exercise, what's the point?

Phil F

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 215
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:18:51
 Stephen Birkett wrote:
>Robin wrote:
>> owners  unfortunately incapable of taking note of the many experimental
>> anomalies arising from their point of view which their complete
>> indifference to the numerous models and experiments suggested both by
>> you and myself demonstrate.
>
>Now that the discussion has calmed down - I found it difficult to follow the various
>threads while the salvos were going back and forth - perhaps this would be a good point
>to present a short, dispassionate synopsis of these key experimental anomolies and
>observations that need explanation.
>
>Stephen
>
>Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
>Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
>464 Winchester Drive
>Waterloo, Ontario
>Canada N2T 1K5
>tel: 519-885-2228
>mailto: birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com