19 TET Ravel

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:08:44 EST

In a message dated 2/27/02 12:41:12 PM Central Standard Time,=20
dm.porritt@verizon.net (David M. Porritt) writes:

> To show my ignorance of the esoterica in micro tuning, what are the
>=20

Imagine a the standard 12 note keyboard but each of the black keys are slit=20
into two keys and in between the white keys, E & F and B & C, there is now a=
=20
single black key.  Tune that whole arrangement in ET and you'd have what thi=
s=20
post refers to.

By coincidence, the 1/3 Comma Meantone has the same pitches as the 19 note E=
T=20
but 7 of them are left out.  It is a really weird sounding temperament.  The=
=20
consonant major chords have this slowly dripping sound to them which reminds=
=20
me of a Salvador Dali painting.  The consonant minor chords have pure minor=20
3rds which are downright depressing.  The dissonant intervals have to be=20
heard to be believed.  The "wolf" is 55 cents wide, enough to make a dog how=
l.

  The composer, Thomas Salinas of the 15th Century (if I remember correctly)=
=20
was known for using this temperament.  I would imagine for funeral music on=20
the organ in particular.  The dissonant side and the very unequal intervals=20
sound to me like much of the qualities associated with the Gamelon music of=20
Southeast Asia.  It has an other worldly sound like none other.

I listened to as much as I could of the Ravel.  In my opinion, it sounded=20
ridiculous and I did not see the point of it at all.  It was one of Ravel's=20
pieces originally written for piano but is best known in its orchestrated=20
arrangement with French Horn.  It is a tender and sweetly sad piece.  What I=
=20
heard (and what I heard of it was far too much) sounded tinny, mechanical,=20
plodding in rhythym (rather than flowing) and out of tune.

I would have rather heard it played well and properly in ET than what I hear=
d=20
on the Net.  Last year, I heard a particularly fine interpretation on a Kawa=
i=20
9 foot Concert grand in 1/7 Comma Meantone played by French pianist, D=E9sir=
=E9=20
N'Kaoua.  I have never once heard any of these more than 12 note ET ideas=20
played on a crummy synthesizer which didn't first of all sound out of tune=20
enough to truly give me a sick feeling and also be so badly played as to be=20
musical rubbish.

It's certainly not anything I'll ever be interested in.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
 <A HREF=3D"http://www.billbremmer.com/">Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r=
 e m m e r . c o m =3D-</A>=20