Aprons and holey bridges

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:47:27 +0000

At 9:40 AM -0800 26/2/02, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>There is no particular need for high mass in the bass bridge, but it's not
>particularly bothersome (or noticeable) either. Remember, mass has more
>effect on the higher frequencies and springiness on the lower frequencies of
>the piano's energy spectrum.
>
>No, I haven't tested and/or documented this, but I have replaced a lot of
>bridges both with and without all the fancy holes drilled in them that are
>obviously intended to lighten them up. I've never noticed that the holes
>made any difference at all.

Maybe not in some cases, but I wouldn't say that they are necessarily
"obviously intended to lighten them up".  The holes will also have
the effect of altering the flexibility of the bridge (in some cases)
and in all cases of changing the path of the vibrations and
"filtering" or "mixing", as in the case of the fiddle bridge.  The
cutting out and dowelling at the tenor of a Steinway O could hardly
be intended merely to lighten the bridge in that section.  I've not
had time to study exactly what is aimed at here, but maybe you can
explain it.

Tests (Wogram) claim to have demonstrated that the quality of a note
is affected if the string is situated above one of the nodes of the
soundboard's free vibrations and that the position of the node can be
changed by a slight redistribution of mass.  It seems to me that the
node could be taken out of the direct line of fire by means of bridge
incisions.  This would be an interesting experiment.

>I see no reason why a bass bridge body could not be made out of spruce or
>maple or beech or ash or everyone's favorite--Select Hardwood--for that. I
>doubt the acoustical differences would be all that noticeable. The choice of
>material used in the body--either good or bad--will certainly be less than
>sticking a cantilever under there.

I've read a few anti-apron posts of your and Ron N.'s and would like
to hear precisely what the argument against the apron is.  I have
seen so many pianos that behave excellently with a suspended bridge
and yet from the very beginning of my career it has always seemed to
me that a direct bridge was preferable, maybe even in spite of the
evidence!

I have two 133 cm. uprights here, a Lipp and a Knauss (not a big
maker but all fine pianos in my experience).  They both have an
exceptional bass.  The Lipp has an apron  widening to 70 mm. and the
Knauss has a curved solid bridge which is canted at about 15 degrees
to bring the gluing probably 25 or 30 mm. inboard  -- which is very
nice and rather unusual.  Unfortunately the Knauss is at the store,
otherwise I'd put on identically designed strings to those on the
Lipp and make a comparison.  My gut instinct tells me the Knauss with
the direct bridge will be richer in the upper partials and less
"plummy", but I'm not at all sure I'd be proved right.  What do you
say?  And why?

You may have noticed I mentioned that the Ibach from which I have
just removed the soundboard has an apron only 4 mm thick!  I bought
this piano cheap and sounding as bad as any I've ever heard.  The
reason became clear as I removed the bass strings and the bass bridge
fell off the apron.  Generations of tuners had not detected this and
I found at least twenty corks, wedges and pedal springs propping up
the board all over the place when quite possibly there was nothing
else wrong with it.  We shall never know.  I bought the piano in
order to fit my experimental board, so the old board was coming out
anyway, though Ibach had made sure it would take me a long morning by
mortising it into the outer rim all round.

JD

JD