Key Leveling Devices

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:36:42 EST

In a message dated 2/28/02 8:17:28 AM Central Standard Time,
kellybill_m@hotmail.com (Kelly & Bill) writes:

> I am curious to know what everyones favorite method (tool) for doing a
> complete key-leveling job is.  I am new to the sport and would like input
> on the best tool for the job.  So far the only methods I'm aware of are:
> aluminum straight edge, the Jaras tool, and the Sciortino tool.  Are there

I'd suggest taking Howard Jackson up on his offer.  I have 33 years in the
business and tried lots of approaches but for some 15 years now, I've only
used one tool and have better and quicker results with it than any other
method.  I use a piece of aluminum stock about 14 inches long, 1/4 inch thick
and 1 inch wide.  I don't even know where I got it.  I found it someplace and
put it in my toolkit and it's been there ever since.  You could probably find
a piece like it at a hardware or building supply store.  Have them cut a
12-14 inch piece (something that would fit in your toolkit).

I used to use a full length wooden straight edge with a built in crown but
the short piece is better and goes everywhere I do.  The method I use builds
crown automatically.  The only other thing you may possibly need besides the
punchings will be a foot stool that you can sit on so that you can be at eye
level.  That, however, is not even a requirement, especially for touch up
leveling.  Take Howard's cue about "sounds".  If you were blind, you could
use nothing more than a simple straight edge, your fingers and your ears and
end up with the most perfect job possible.  I use many of the blind
techniques because they are so exact and I don't see very well anyway.

Really getting a keyboard perfectly level with that very slight curve known
as the "crown" is as satisfying of an accomplishment as a really fine tuning
or any other big job well done.

If you'd like me and some of the others to elaborate on the techniques after
you've looked at Howard's material, it could provide good material for a
discussion.  I don't recall much on key leveling in recent times.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin