Replacing Spinet Strings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:37:01 EST

kellybill_m@hotmail.com writes:

> What is the easiest way to replace a broken string in a spinet action
> provided it cannot be spliced?  I just did this on a 1970 Hobart M. Cable
> Spinet on C8 - probably the easiest one in the piano and it was a great
> struggle.  I do not look forward to dealing with the overstrung section of
> a spinet.  I did it with the action still in the piano.  Is there an easier
> way or some invented tool to simplify the procedure?
>
> Thanks,
> William R. Monroe
> Salt Lake City

Bill.

Other than the top octave, where you might be able to work the string in
behind the action, the easiest way to install a strings in a spinet is to
remove the action. Although this might sound like a lot of work, which it is,
in the long run, it is much faster and easier than trying to fight the action
and the keyframe. Take it from someone who's been doing this for 25 years.

Good luck

Wim