Key Leveling Devices

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:09:23 -0700

Hi David,
Would double sided sticky tape work.
Just stick the punching at the bottom of the tape where it would be easy =
to get to install and even put a slit in it without having to hold it.
Just wondering.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kdivad@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 9:15 AM
  Subject: Re: Key Leveling Devices

  In a message dated 02/28/2002 8:27:48 AM Central Standard Time, =
tune4@earthlink.net writes:=20

    Bill=20
    I've used straight edges over the years because they always show me =
the direct height relationship of adjacent keys.  My current one is a =
piece of the lightest aluminum angle I can find, one side straightened =
and the other crowned. Previous recent posts describe the technique I =
use with double punchings as gauges as described by another subscriber =
to this list.  The side of the angle that best suits the job is =
selected. Rarely are more than 2 passes required.  I prefer key weights =
to hold down the back of the keys.  After leveling is finished, key dip =
is easily checked and corrected.  Let me know if you need more details.=20

    Paul Chick=20

  Bill, Paul, I have mentioned this before on the list but it works so =
well for me it bears mentioning again.  I am not sure who to give credit =
for the idea but you can make a feeler gauge out of balance rail =
punchings. Two 3's, two 5's, two 7's and so on, glue two 3's together =
(only overlapping 1/2) then glue two 5's and glue them to the 3's (same =
1/2 overlap) continue to thickest punchings.  I then glue the row to a =
popsicle stick and there is your feeler gauge.  =20
  I looks like this OOOOOOO=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D.  If need be I can send a =
picture.=20
                        =20
  Slide your gauge between a straight edge and the key and if it fits =
where the two 5's are overlapped but not where the 5 and 7 are =
overlapping you will use a 5 !=20

  I like to level with the stack on in the piano, using tape along the =
front of the keyframe to mark the size punching I need.  I also compress =
my punchings with a drilled dowel in the same manner that Joe Garrett =
described in this months Journals TT&T section.=20

  I find this method fast and accurate.=20

  David Koelzer=20
  Vintage Pianos=20
  1702 Doubletree Dr.=20
  Mesquite, Tx 75149=20